Skip to main content

Looking For A Seagull

I remember as a boy playing in my backyard and watching a few seagulls flying around.  I ran inside the house, grabbed some bread from the cupboard and went back outside to feed the birds.  I held the bag in my left hand and with my right hand I would reach inside the bag and break off small pieces of bread and greeted my new friends with treats-o-plenty.

It didn't take long for the birds to warm up to me.  Within minutes I had them eating from my hand.  Initially, there were only a few of them, but before long more and more seagulls were circling overhead and eventually would come to partake.  All were anxiously awaiting the feast I was so willing to provide.

I was so excited about all of my new friends and they just kept coming.  There were birds all over the railings, the lawn, the patio, the deck chairs and the most impressive sight were the scores of them landing on the roof of the house.

I would get upset when I would see a bird steal from the bird I was feeding.  I tried to tell them there was more where "that came from." and I made every effort to feed each and every one of those birds their "fair share."

When the bag was empty, I told them all to wait and I would get more.  I ran inside the house and grabbed every bag of bread my mother had.  I continued to feed.

I believe a neighbor must have witnessed the event and called my mother to tell her I was about to be a victim of a Hitchcock film.

My mother didn't share the same enthusiasm about feeding the birds as I did.  In fact, she was quite upset.  I was sent to my room where I could then only watch the birds from my bedroom window as they slowly made their exodus after realizing I was no longer coming back.

I reflected on this childhood memory after seeing and hearing seagulls today.  Seagulls are an indication that Springtime is near and the long winter is finally drawing to a close.  Bring on the warmer weather and goodbye Old Man Winter.  The seagulls are back and I've got a bag of bread.

Comments

  1. Looking forward to the spring as well. This winter weather is for the birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened