Skip to main content

Am I Too Old For My Own Music?


A few weeks ago, we were able to attend an Air Supply Concert.  Did you know they have been touring every year since 1975?  Russell Hitchcock and Graham Russell are the duo to the songs we all know and love.  Most of us have memories of high school and college of playing their songs over and over and cherishing first love.  We even played their songs again through arduous breakups.  I can still sing every word.

Graham Russell lives near my hometown of Kamas, Utah.  He is 71 years of age.  Russell Hitchcock lives in Georgia. He is 72.

They both struggle to sing the pitches they once did.  They still attempt to stroke the guitar with reckless abandon and dance about the stage and throw hand motions to the crowd with their microphone to engage the crowd.  I couldn't help but think someone needed to be nearby to catch them if they fell.  Have you seen men who are my parents age jump up and down on a stage?  You cannot look away!  I was so engaged, I didn't even want to go to the bathroom or grab concessions.  They are still great entertainers, but at that age, even falling over could be damage beyond repair...and I don't mean to the equipment or the stage.  

Every feeble hop or an attempt to run toward the crowd had me scanning the crowd for paramedics.

Jenn and I were driving yesterday, listening to a top 20 countdown of songs from the 80s.  Joan Jett and the Blackhearts brayed 'I Love Rock and Roll' followed by the Beastie Boys, 'You Gotta Fight For Your Right to Party!'  I found myself turning the radio down and wondered to myself, "are the artists who performed these songs also getting too old to listen to their own music?"


Comments

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened