Skip to main content

Wake Up!

Would you believe I actually fell asleep while having a conversation? I thought it was bad enough that I was catching some Z's at church, but sitting on a sofa and having a one-on-one with somebody?

As I am typing this, I cannot tell you what Cora and I were talking about. I've been tapping into all of my memory reserves, and I cannot pull up the data. I can't even tell you who was in mid-sentence when I lost consciousness. If I was the one speaking, that's really pathetic!

You may be thinking, this occurred late in the evening.....WRONG! This was the middle of the afternoon!

I've had conversations with Cora and I'll be going along, then realize she is no longer responding, but this is usually late into the night, and we're both on our backs and in the comfort of our own bed. Losing consciousness in that setting is acceptable.

I entered back into the land of consciousness hearing, "Hello! Are you there?" I snapped back to attention, then 'spent the rest of the meeting trying to figure out what I had missed, and how did my "going into public" ever become a part of the discussion?' <----( Okay, so this is from a previous post, but that's where my mind went when I came to. When I'm just waking up, nothing on the brain ever makes sense?)

I believe the reason I was so tired is a result of our recent getaway to Bear Lake. I never rest well on vacations. When we have an opportunity to get away, it is a weekend getaway, and it is usually camping.

When we camp, we sleep our entire family of seven in a tent trailer. Although the tent trailer is comfortable and spacious, the fact of the matter is, in a tent trailer, we all sleep in the same room.

I own a home with several bedrooms for a reason. I love the fact that the only one who shares a room and a bed with me is Cora, and if I choose to hang out in my underwear, it's perfectly acceptable, because the only person I am frightening is my dear wife. She's seen me in my underwear for over 11 years now, so the scare factor has diminished some.

I am a light sleeper. I will awaken to the sound of a passing train in Montpelier, Idaho, albeit I may be sleeping 40 miles away. Because of this, every little sniffle and snort, belch or fart, whisper and cry within that tent will keep me up. My point is, I had very little sleep that night.

We spent the next day on the beach and in the water. Oh, it was great fun! We stayed and played until nearly 9:00 PM. We then made the long trek back to Salt Lake City, and pulled into our driveway around 12:30 AM.

I was too tired to park the tent trailer. We agreed we would wait until Sunday to park the trailer and haul all of our belongings into the house. We quickly got the kids to bed, then battened down the hatches and jumped into bed. By this time, it was 1:30 AM.

About 1:45 AM, Matthew woke up crying. I went to his room to console him, but he wanted none of that. In this situation, I did what comes naturally....I picked him up and carried him to our bed so that Cora could feed him. Well, this is not what he wanted either. He continued to yell at me, "I know you want to sleep, Dad, but you are not allowed! An angel came to me in a dream and said, 'your dad needs patience and tribulation.' I was told to try and wake up the neighborhood. Dad, I was just being obedient."

Well, being the stubborn father than I am, I picked him up and carried him off to his bed, "I'll show you! I'm going to stick you in this dark room in a bed with bars. He he he! I'm so mean!"

I returned to my room, threw on my pants, shoes and a shirt. I grabbed the car keys and made my way to the garage. I was boiling over with frustration! All I wanted was sleep! Cora asked me what I was doing. "It's too hot. I can't sleep. I'm going to do something productive," I said.

I then went outside at 2:00 AM and backed up the tent trailer into its usual parking spot. I'm sure the neighbors thought I had lost my mind. After parking the trailer, I cleaned out the Suburban and the tent trailer and brought all of our camping gear inside.

I returned to bed at 3:00 AM. Fortunately, during the hour it took me to unload the trailer, Matthew had been visited by the 'sleep angel' and was snoozing soundly.

-------------

It is now Tuesday, and I still haven't had a good night's rest. I'll be interviewing a new job applicant today. He'll be here in a few minutes. I just downed a 32 ounce Mountain Dew and I'm chewing a 'curiously strong' mint. I have a few toothpicks readily available to prop into my eyelids. Hopefully, I am conscious enough to make a good hiring decision. I'd hate to think I may hire someone only qualified to work as a cashier at Arctic Circle.

Comments

  1. This is sooo funny because it's sooo true for any parent. Mind you I usually don't go outside and work in the middle of the night. I play stupid games on the computer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened