Skip to main content

Nothing More American Than A Rodeo

On Friday and Saturday night, we attended the Rodeo.  I love everything about it.  The rodeo is my Christmas.  I believe when I leave this earth, the Good Lord will let me spend eternity in the bleachers (although I hope he gives me a la-z-boy recliner).  I'm not sure Cora or some of my kids share the same enthusiasm, but a few of them do.  Even as I write this, my youngest three are still dudded out in their western attire and hats.  You can't peel it off of them.  In fact, I missed a photo opportunity yesterday when my youngest son was vacuuming the living room floor in his church suit and a cowboy hat.  

It really infuriated my oldest.  He's a teenager and has an anti-life attitude at times.  He called us all out and said, "you're not cowboys.  Nobody in this house is a cowboy.  Stop pretending to be one......ugh!  This family!!!!"

I immediately broke out into a country/western song and tried to get him to square dance with me.  He just went down to his room, slammed the door and blasted some kind of weird music with a lot of screechy instruments and loud, thumping bass drums.  He says its music.  I don't believe him.

The rodeo opens with prayer and a flag ceremony.  I realized there aren't many events anymore that include both.  

The rodeo opens with a prayer and a flag ceremony.  How many events still open with a combination of the two?

My wife is currently serving on the City Council and attends all of the city events.  This also requires a lot of volunteer hours and she rarely has an opportunity to sit with us and enjoy the show.  As city representation was introduced, I was able to get this picture of her from across the stadium.  I'm very proud of her and the great job she does for the city and our family.

Coralee currently serves as a City Councilwoman.  Here she is waving to the crowd.  I love that woman.

I brought my video camera to capture each event, but the battery didn't last long.  I was only able to get a few early videos of mutton bustin', bareback bronc riding and saddle bronc riding.  I went back to my video editing software and went frame-by-frame and captured the following pictures.

You can see how high in the air some of these horses get.  I can't even imagine riding animals like this.  When my horses get a little bucky, it scares me into next week before I try mounting them again.

Now that I'm blogging again, perhaps I should get a decent camera.  Almost everything I post on these blogs are from my iphone.











On Saturday, I convinced Coralee the kids should have some hats.  We spent some time at AA Callister that afternoon.  I could get lost in that store and spend hours there.  Before we knew it, we were walking out with some shirts, boots and hats for the kids.  Here they are all fitted and ready for Saturday's show.

Nate and Jeff went to Lagoon that day and Bryson was hanging with his friends and went to a dance that evening.  Nate was pretty upset on his return to see all the kids with their new attire.  He's been begging me since then to go back to Callister's so he can get a hat, shirt and boots.

Before heading to the rodeo on Saturday night.  Aren't we a handsome bunch?
Our youngest really wanted to participate in the Mutton Bustin' competition.  This is the last year she is eligible and we were lamenting that we hadn't registered her in advance.  It turned out, one of the contestants was ill and not able to participate so we were able to slip into the open spot.

We're standing in line waiting for the Mutton Bustin'.

My cowgirl received some instructions from our good friend, Ty Nielsen.  She was grinning all the way into the chute.  I kept asking her if she was nervous.  She told me she wasn't.  My heart was pounding and I was chewing my nails to the nub.  I'm a little overly protective of my little girl.

In the chute and receiving instruction prior to the gate swinging open.
Riding off into the sunset.

Finished with an 81 point ride.  She received a trophy, a gift certificate to Salsa Leedos and a pair of Roper boots.
We're proud of our little cowgirl.  She loved the entire experience.  After she came off the sheep, she immediately popped up and waved to the crowd.  I asked her if she liked it and she excitedly said, "yes!  I'm sad this is the last year I could do this because I want to do it again."  She then asked if we could buy a sheep.  I told her she'll have to make due with the horses.  Now she does like daddy and spends her free time out there talking to them, petting them and feeding them apple treats.  She's got her dad's country blood in her and here's hoping it never goes away.

Another highlight of my night was meeting the rodeo announcer, Chad Nicholson.  He and I are friends on Facebook and we had been corresponding up until the rodeo event.  He asked me to look him up after the show.  Chad is a genuine and nice guy and spent quite a bit of time with me and my family.  He recommended we take a picture with him and asked me to tag the picture so he could have it on his Facebook page.  He wanted to make sure the picture was taken right and requested we take a few extra pictures to make sure they turned out.  Before the picture, he let me know one of the kid's hats was on backwards and said, "the way you know is the buckle should always be on the left."  Sound advice, because there have been times I've been trying on hats and uncertain if I had it on the right way.  Now I know.


After the show, we went up to meet with the rodeo announcer, Chad Nicholson.  








Comments

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened