Skip to main content

Old Ephraim

A couple of weeks ago my son, a few friends and I went on a Saturday ride to Old Ephraim's Grave.  Who is Old Ephraim, you ask?  He was the last and biggest grizzly bear in Utah.  He roamed the Cache National Forest from circa 1911 until his death on August 22, 1923.  In researching the story about Old Ephraim, I stumbled upon this told in four parts by Blair Henderson on YouTube contributed by Oak Norton.  Join the camp fire with his family and listen to him tell the story.  


There are several jeep trails that will get to the grave site.  We drove up Logan Canyon and came in from Temple Fork.  The road is narrow and difficult to navigate unless you are on an ATV, jeep or four wheel drive.  In fact, the road is narrow enough that as I was going up the mountain pulling a horse trailer, some girls were coming down in a sedan.  There wasn't room for the two of us to pass each other.  We sat there idling and facing off for a couple of minutes.  It was like an old movie and a game of chicken.  I think my good looks must have driven the logic out of them.  They wouldn't back up to let me pass.  Instead, I had to back my truck and trailer down the mountain a good half mile or so.

When the girls were able to pass, we continued up the mountain.  We drove in about three miles until we found a roundabout that was a perfect spot to park the trailer and unload the horses.

It turned out the others pulling trailers misunderstood which exit I was planning for and lost me along the way.  They had all turned in at the trailhead near Camp Lomia prior to Temple Fork and it took them some time to find a place they could turn around.  By the time they found me, I had my horses saddled and ready to go.

I've had some trouble with one of my horses, Kachina.  She has become a little skittish and it has taken some time getting her used to the entire preparatory process of receiving the bridle, blanket and saddle.  It felt like a huge success to have her saddled and ready to go.  My son, Jeff, wanted to ride her.  I held onto her as he mounted to ensure she was safe for riding (not that a 160 pound man can keep a thousand pound animal from being turned into hamburger).  She stood quietly and Jeff was soon nestled in nicely for the ride.


Early in the ride.  This is Darren's first ride in about 15 years.


This is my son, Jeff.  He's riding the horse, Kachina.  She was unrideable earlier this year.  A lot of hours have been spent with her to settle her down.  She's doing much better now.  Although, as soon as we started up the trail, Kachina bolted and ran up through the trees.  Jeff held on and got her to settle down.  From then on, she did great.  

Shortly after everybody was ready to go, we left the trucks and trailers behind and began our journey. Almost immediately upon our approach to the trail, Kachina passed gas and startled herself.  She, of course, took off on a dead run up through the trees.  Jeff handled it like a pro.  He stayed on and got her to settle down.  From then on, she did great.  She still passed a lot of gas though.  That's the last time I get her an order "to go" from La Hacienda.

Eric Alldredge is tipping his cap as the journey begins.  Todd McNeill is on the horse to the right.  These guys are my horse traveling companions.  We do a lot of rides together.




Jessica McNeill, Todd Mcneill's daughter, joined us for this ride.  My wife was thrilled to know we'd have female companionship so we wouldn't get ourselves into trouble.  

A couple of miles into the ride, I noticed from the map that the jeep trail switched beyond a pass and headed back the same direction we were coming from.  I had the great idea and suggestion that we cut across the pasture and meet up with the trail rather than sojourn so far around on the path.  I was certain we would save some time doing so.  I didn't realize we would rise in elevation by several hundred feet in difficult terrain. It was very steep with a lot of thick brush the horses charged through and over.  

When we would stop to rest the horses, they would scramble trying to find secure footing.  My horse, Ebony, was slipping and losing her balance.  Rather than go tumbling down the mountain, Eric and I dismounted and decided to walk our horses  for a while.  Talk about a work out!  The couple hundred yards I scaled the mountain was enough to have me sweating, wheezing and crying out to celestial beings.  I think I negotiated my life for promises I probably couldn't keep.  As we reached a ridgeline, I got back on the horse and rode her up the rest of the way to the trail.  We found some shade and let the horses rest.

As we were resting, I mentioned to Jessica that my wife was grateful we brought along female companionship to ensure we wouldn't do anything stupid.  It then made it easy for me to blame her for the stupid thing we did.

The rest of the journey was a running joke about cutting across terrain to rejoin the trail.  The jabs were well deserved.


Todd McNeill.  Did I tell you he's the reason I have horses?  This guy got me hooked.  




I love riding.  It's evident from the smile on my face.



The trail to Old Ephraim is a jeep trail and is mostly navigated by ATVs and motorcycles.  

The ride to the grave site was seven miles from where we parked the trailers.  It is beautiful up there.  We even saw a few beaver dams along the way.



Parked the horses at Old Ephraim's Grave.  I think the horses are upset we parked them on the wrong side of the fence.  Long and hot ride means thirsty and hungry horses.



Ebony and I enjoying a break at Old Ephraim's Grave.  As I was standing for this picture, she kept pushing me from behind with her nose.  She was trying to get me to tell her we were done.  Either that or she found me very attractive in those chaps.



This is a monument erected by some Boy Scouts.  The stone is 9' 11" tall to represent the height of the old grizzly bear.

Several years ago, a group of Boy Scouts erected a monument near the site of Old Ephraim's demise.  It displays a poem written by Nephi J. Bott:

Old Ephraim, Old Ephraim, your deeds were so wrong;
Yet we build you this marker and sing you this song;
To the king of the forest so mighty and tall;
We salute you, Old Ephraim, the king of them all.




A somber moment as I take off my hat and sunglasses to say a few words about the bear.  Actually, I think I was just taking them off so I could wipe the sweat of my brow on my shirt.  I don't actually remember giving a eulogy to the bear.



Eric always has the best poses.  This could also be after he was turned into a Zombie.  From this point on, he kept talking about "Night of the Living Dead" and would say, "I'm coming to get you, Barbara!"  

We spent about 30 minutes at the monument before heading back to the trailers.  The overall journey would be 14 miles on horseback and six hours of riding.


Eric and Darren, both are now talking about other Zombie movies and are looking back at us strangely,  as though we might be a good meal.



Heading back to the trailers.  We may have all turned Zombie by now.  



Jeff and Kachina finding some shade.



Darren, striking up the best Cowboy pose he can.  Still looks pretty "city" to me.

On the way back to the trailers, Ebony was so anxious to get back that she wanted to be right up front with the other horses.  I'm turning her around and wrestling with her to keep her on "my terms".  Kachina and Jeff are back down the trail a bit from the others.  She was tired and didn't care about hanging with the rest of the group.

Deep in conversation, Todd and Darren, are trying to figure out how to eliminate the zombies.  They're now outnumbered and they forgot to bring a gun.  That's fear in Todd's eyes.


I'm striking up my best "cowboy" pose.  It comes naturally to me.  I'm no city slicker like these other guys.

This is beautiful country and well worth the trip.  Plan on a full day if traveling by horse or foot.  It would be a lot of fun to pack a tent and camp near the monument and tell the story about Old Ephraim around a campfire.



Comments

  1. You need to get back to having some fun in your life! All work and no fun makes Jack an old version of Eric! Your papa!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened