Skip to main content

This Grinch Put Christmas Lights On The House

I don't know why I'm telling you this, but if you put me in front of a keyboard and you ask me to type something, my first impulse is to type:  Corey Moser is a cool dude and that is the truth so there.

I've often typed out those words while sitting in front of a blank screen.  Back in the old days, I would punch it out on a typewriter.  Some of you may not know what that is.  You may have to visit a museum to find one, but they were once the latest and greatest in our advanced technological world.

I don't know why those are the special words that have often found their way to paper.  Perhaps it is my justification in trying to live with myself.  If I continue to tell myself that, perhaps my arrogance will only shine brighter?  You would think I would just stop with Corey Moser is a cool dude... but no...I have to accentuate it with and that is the truth so there!  

Well anyway, you won't believe what I did on Saturday.  Okay, perhaps you have already guessed, because there is no mystery to it.  The title of this blog post gives it away..... I put up Christmas lights!  Let the "shock and awe" begin.  

I even put them on the house in the month of November.  Perhaps some of the grinchiness is going away?  ...... Probably not.  It must have only been a passing moment, or perhaps an afternoon of insanity.  It is not uncommon here in Herriman.  I've seen others lose their minds; even this month.

My lapse of judgment wasn't just Saturday afternoon.  I went to a social event on Friday night and again on Saturday night.  I also went shopping with my wife this weekend.  

Some of you have just said, "miracles will never cease!"  Some of you are still scratching your heads and some of you are wondering if the world is coming to an end.

Speaking of scratching heads:  I had an itch on my scalp this morning during Gospel Doctrine and I couldn't make it go away.  That is an awkward place to get an itch; in Gospel Doctrine, not on one's head.  When I raised my hand to scratch my head, I realized it could easily be mistaken as volunteering to read a scripture or answer the teacher's question(s).  Since I wasn't in the mood for that, I had to lean my head forward with my elbow resting on my lap and then stretch my fingers to the irritant.  I'm sure it looked strange, but at least my hand didn't attract the teacher's gaze and I eventually succeeded with my task.

What was I talking about?...... oh yeah, Christmas lights.

Anyway, the lights are up and they look good.  Although, when we left the house Saturday evening, all of the lights were on.  When we returned home that night; they were all off.  Nobody was home to turn them off.  The lights tripped the breaker.

How did I resolve this problem you ask?  Rather than solve the electrical problem, I did the redneck thing:  I strung extension cables all the way around the back of the house and down through one of the bedroom windows.  Problem solved!

Yes, that's right Corey Moser is a cool dude and that is the truth so there!




Comments

  1. Wow, Corey, you really are a cool dude. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you sold out to the Christmas Spirit. I'm never giving in like you. You should be ashamed of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have to ask...it's been a while since your last post...did the lights get the best of you? I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to get back to it again. Things have been so busy since Thanksgiving; blogging has become a last priority. Perhaps I'll get around to it this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is a pitiful excuse of regularity. I just thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must really really like this post to keep returning to it day after day. I think you should just leave it here indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened