Skip to main content

Time to Support Our New President

On Wednesday morning, the day after the country elected Barack Obama as the new President of the United States, the rains and snow fell in Salt Lake City.  Perhaps this was the mood for most of the conservatives who blanket our state.

One individual's perspective brought a smile to my face that day.  He said, "Wow!  We elected Obama the President yesterday and today it snows.  Global Warming has already backed off. This guy is amazing!"

Yet, a friend who was not so pleased with the results said, "All my life I have been told that the Lord's Second Coming will be in my lifetime.  I think November 4th was as close to that day as could be possible.  I was surprised the sun even came up on Wednesday."  Obviously, her man, and mine, didn't win.

Prior to November 4th, much of the country was divided.  More than 63 million votes went to Barack Obama; nearly 56 million votes went to John McCain.  A record number of people cast their ballots as mud was being flung from both parties leading up to the election.

Given the intensity of some of the charges that have been made in the past few months, these particular "before and after" contrasts have been whiplash-inducing.

Representative Michelle Bachmann of Minnesota said when it came to Obama, "I'm very concerned that he may have anti-American views."  But on Wednesday, after narrowly escaping defeat because of those comments, she said she was "extremely grateful that we have an African-American who has won this year."  She went on to say that Mr. Obama's victory was a "tremendous signal we sent."

Sarah Palin accused Mr. Obama of "palling around with terrorists."  But, she took a different tone on Thursday when she said, "let him savor the moment" and don't "let the pettiness of maybe internal workings of the campaign erode any of the recognition of this historic moment that we're in.  God bless Barack Obama and his beautiful family."

The shift in tone from John McCain's concession speech was comforting and I was pleased with his comments as he referred to Barack Obama's victory as "a historic election" and hailed  the "special pride" it held for African-Americans.  He vowed to help Mr. Obama and encouraged us to pledge our support.

Vice President-elect, Joseph Biden, at one point in the campaign said he no longer recognized Mr. McCain as a friend, but post election he said, "we're still friends."

President Bush also recognized Barack Obama's victory and said his arrival to the White House will be a "stirring sight."

I watched Mr. Obama's victory speech on Tuesday night and I was encouraged by what I saw.  I watched this man step onto the stage with his family with dignity and humility.  He didn't pump his fist, but quietly smiled and waved, acknowledging the people who were there to see him.  

He opened with encouraging words of hope, "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our Founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

Here is a man who finally gives inspiring words and provides the leadership that our country has been missing for far too long.  Whether you love him or hate him, you have to recognize that he possesses great leadership skills and the ability to bring the country together.  

He recognized the hard-fought battle of John McCain  and said, "he has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine.  We are better off for the services rendered by this brave and selfless leader."  He then went on to say that he looks forward to working with Mr. McCain to "renew this nation's promise."

He also recognized that there will be setbacks and false starts and many won't agree with every decision he makes as president, but he "will always be honest with you about the challenges we face.  I will listen to you, especially when we disagree.  And above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for 221 years....block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand."

Although I may not agree with Mr. Obama on some issues; I will put my support behind him and respect the office he will hold as the President of the nation I love.

Comments

  1. Well said. Although I don't agree with all of his policies I like his over-all message and passion for America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Of course you know how I feel about the new President, and I'm hopeful for a bright future. He's got a bit of a mess to clean up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Headlights and Tail Lights, Angels and Demons

We were driving home late the other night and Nathan said, "I like to think of the tail lights in front of us as devils." "And I like to think of the headlights behind us as Angels." "We are leading the battle of Angels and we're chasing all of the devils." I loved the creativity and imagination.  I had to share.  Driving at night will never be the same.  I have a feeling those words will stick with me. I thought a bit beyond his description and thought of those who pass me on the freeway.  They were once the Angels following me into battle.  Are they now Angels in the lead or the demons we chase?  

A Father's Love

The other night, my wife and I were walking out of Walmart and saw a father with two young children.  Just before he left the store and went out into the cold night, the children both looked up at their dad and raised their arms above their heads, looking for comfort from the cold and icy conditions.  He bent down and scooped them up and carried them in each of his arms. Watching the man carrying two children, Coralee looked at me and said, "I remember those days." We both reflected on how quickly time has passed since our children were little.  Days seem to pass more quickly now and it is so easy to get caught up in the crazy and hectic routine that is our lives presently.  It isn't often there is time to slow down and reflect on those days of early parenting.  I speak as though the best memories have passed, but memories continue to be made everyday. Watching this father caused me to reflect on tender moments.  Our youngest is nearly eight years old.  Our oldest is

Hollywood's Best Kept Secret

Are you looking for free entertainment?  Bring your family, a few lawn chairs and an hour or two of your time and you won’t be disappointed.  The stage?  A backyard.  The entertainment?  A couple of horses, 13 chickens and a funny looking bald guy.  The only thing that could improve the performance is if the bald man could somehow figure out how to juggle the chickens while standing on a horse’s back.  I’m working on the juggling act. I have a friend that admitted he’s buying the home behind me because of the entertainment value.  He said when people figure out “Hollywood’s Best Kept Secret”, the home values around me will increase dramatically.  Last year, I bought two horses from a mule ranch in Moab.  Mules are smart.  They test fences by bumping them with their chests.  They will then rise up on their hind legs and leap over the fence like a gazelle.  One of my horses learned the fence jumping skill from the mules.  The first time she jumped the fence, I happened